Diversity and Inclusion Awards
- Background and Justification
ECU’s mission states that the university will serve as a national model for public service and regional transformation. We will distinguish ourselves by the ability to train leaders as we prepare our students to succeed in a global economy and a multicultural society, while facilitating regional transformation.
- These four annual awards will recognize demonstrated significant achievements of (1) full-time faculty (teaching EHRA), (2) full-time staff (SHRA, non-teaching EHRA and CSS), (3) full-time undergraduate or graduate students, and (4) an academic unit, administrative unit, university organization or university committee. The awards will complement the development of a university community that is culturally diverse and reflective of inclusive excellence.
- Recipients will have contributed to diversity and inclusion through one or more of the following ways:
- Exemplary leadership
- Recruitment, outreach and retention efforts for employees
- Recruitment and graduation efforts for students
- Curriculum development
- Promotion of cross-cultural understanding
- Multicultural programming
- Diversity programming
- Cultural competency
- Advocacy/service as an ally
- Promoting social justice/equity initiatives
- Development and enhancement of an inclusive campus
- Community outreach activities
- Other initiatives
The program rewards efforts to enhance diversity on the basis of race/ethnicity, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, sex, age, disability and veteran status.
Recipients will have demonstrated one or more of the following:
- A commitment to the spirit of diversity and inclusion
- Leadership through positive interaction among persons of different cultural backgrounds
- Behavior which illustrates commitment to inclusion and respect of persons within the institution who are members of traditionally underrepresented, underserved and diverse groups
- Evidence of exceptional efforts to promote a university environment that is free from bias and discrimination.
All full-time faculty, staff, students and administrators are eligible for this nomination. Nominations are welcome from any member of the university community. Candidates for these awards should be engaged in meaningful diversity activities in addition to (or extending beyond) their primary responsibility at the university. Nominations are sought in four categories:
- Full-time faculty (Teaching EHRA)
- Full-time staff (SHRA, Non-Teaching EHRA and CSS)
- Full-time undergraduate/graduate students
- Academic unit, administrative unit, university organization or university committee
- Nominations must include substantiation of the contribution that the individual, team, or unit has made towards advancing diversity and inclusion at ECU.
- Nomination Process
Award recipients will be selected by an anonymous review committee appointed by the Associate Provost for Equity and Diversity.
The certificates and physical awards will be presented at the Chancellor’s Horizon Awards for Service each year.
- Application Timeline
The online application can be found here.
- Applications are due on Monday, February 13, 2023. Applicants will be notified in early spring and will be given details about receiving their award at the Chancellor’s Horizon Awards for Service. The date for the 2023 Chancellor’s Horizon Awards for Service is Tuesday, March 28, 2023.
If you have questions about the Diversity and Inclusion Awards, contact Toya S. Jacobs, Diversity and Inclusion Program Manager, at 328-6804 or email@example.com.
Past Award Winners
- Faculty Award Winner – Dr. Bhibha Das
- Staff Award Winner – Deborah Robinson
- Student Award Winner – Darius Wingfield II
- Group Award Winner – Access, Belonging, Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity (ABIDE) – College of Fine Arts and Communication
- Faculty Award Winner – Dr. Guili Zhang
- Staff Award Winner – Joshua Killian
- Student Award Winner – Amrina Rangar
- Group Award Winner – Department of Recreation Sciences in the College of Health and Human Performance
- Faculty Award Winner – Dr. Sambuddha Banerjee
- Staff Award Winner – Nicole Ianieri
- Student Award Winner – Michael Denning
- Group Award Winner – School of Theatre and Dance
- Faculty Award Winner – Dr. Eric Bailey
- Staff Award Winner – Ashley Cleland
- Student Award Winner – Diamond Ragin
- Group Award Winner – School of Communication
- Faculty Award Winner – Dr. Krista McCoy
- Staff Award Winner – Aleshia Hunt
- Student Award Winner – Dr. Dorothea Mack
- Group Award Winner – Department of Chemistry Undergraduate Program
- Faculty Award Winner – Dr. Priti Desai
- Staff Award Winner – Dr. Virginia Hardy
- Student Award Winner – Ms. Cecilia (Ceci) Shelton
- Group Award Winner – College of Education Diversity Committee
- Faculty Award Winner – Dr. Nicole Caswell
- Staff Award Winner – Mark Rasdorf
- Student Award Winner – Janae Brown
- Group Award Winner – Department of Sociology
- Faculty Award Winner – Dr. Lori Flint
- Staff Award Winner – Aaron Lucier
- Student Award Winner – Francisco Limon
- Group Award Winner – College of Nursing Diversity Advisory Committee